Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Spectacular and personal

Spectacular personal reportage in the print media, yes -- I handed in my dissertation, and so far it doesn't feel much like a conversation. So I decided to switch from Danish into English and to do so in the blogosphere where the first person singular is a given and noone will ask you to "keep yourself out of the copy and let your subject talk directly through you to the reader" (as Jon Franklin once put it). The principle of transparency still serves as a rule of thumb when newcomers are introduced to the craft of reporting, but they are not all adopting the rule, of course. Some of them still go ahead and introduce themselves, body and all, in their texts, openly commenting on their own rhetorical situation, their constraints and rhetorical strategies. I see how the "I" becomes obtrusive and annoying, but generally I enjoy reading such explicit reporting and even found the topic worth a dissertation. Now let's see about this weblog.

No comments: