Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Those long forms

More than anything else, literary journalism appeals to me because of the amount of time which is obviously invested in writing it. This dawned on me when I read Danish reporter Mads Brügger's report from World Economic Forum in Davos (Six Days that Shocked the World VIRUS magazine 5, 2000) which has made a lasting impression on me by being not only well-written (originally in Danish), but by being 40 pages long. And it told you so from the beginning:

We have a good offer for you; in front of you lies a very, very long article, but in turn, it has everything you need to know about the future that lies ahead of us.
I was so very well entertained by that article then. And now I have signed up for a subscription listserv called WriterL, not because it is advertised as 'reminiscent of Paris of the 1920'es', but because it is

tailored for the discussion of narrative writing, feature writing, explanatory journalism, book journalism and the high-level reportage that is associated with such writing.
This already looks extremely appealing to me, but then came the crucial cue: "Most of our members write narrative nonfiction -- those long forms that Tom Wolfe called "the new journalism."" The long forms part made me sign up - and it's only been about 5 days, but I haven't actually heard back from WriterL.

They may be on holiday.

2 comments:

cyclonebill said...

That article certainly made a lasting impression on your students as well. I've never read it since, though.

Christine I said...

I'm glad to hear it! Recently I've been using only the opening paragraph when introducing contemporary new journalism. And I still like it.