Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Not my tattoo


It belongs to someone called Kristina who posted it at this unofficial gallery for the hopelessly devoted.

A friend was introducing me to power point last night (yes I know, this is 2006; and true, it doesn't seem terrifically complicated), and we were scanning some book pages and looking around for pictures for Friday's presentation. It is striking (as well as great) to see how many good ones of Hunter S. Thompson have been produced over the years, drawings as well as photos, even embroidered portraits (and tattoos) as a proof of the graphic and contagiously playful style of the late Doctor of Journalism.

And of Ralph Steadman.

1 comment:

Christine I said...

Or actually Ralp Steadman said:

"These grey T-Shirts [on sale on his website] are from the classic original drawings as they should be. No hideous colors- no goofy tricks and laid on spurious artwork from some other hand. No pirated schmatter-crap out of control and flogged on eBay illegally. If I want weirrd- I can do weirrd better than anybody. Some would say that impersonation is a kind of flattery. That depends. In this electronic mayhem world one gets the uncomfortable feeling that shit happens as a way of life. I have an image of some geek sitting on a tin of rat poison beneath the stairs chuckling and its not a pretty sight......"

I'm sure Kristina's tattoo qualifies as an example of "hideous colors-" and/or "goofy tricks and laid on spurious artwork from some other hand." But at least it's not commercial and will never be flogged on eBay. But - a little late - I'm getting cold feet from posting pictures on my blog at all.

What are the formal guidelines? How old must a picture be in order to become free for use? Does a link to the source give sufficient credit?

I'll look for the rules and take a few posts back if necessary. Please supply me with a link, if you know of one.