Monday, February 19, 2007

I had some faith in my own ability as an actress


Here's Nellie Bly again, because, well, today is Shrove Monday and my son assumed the characteristics of an apple tree before walking off to kindergarten. I wonder what the mission will demand of him and what stories he'll bring back from the field. And I wonder which will be the more interesting - less limiting - role: that of apple tree or that of princess (my daughter's choice for Friday). It is not, of course, a matter of what you are, but what you do. And it's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you're not. Try googling phrases like that and they erode themselves. And nothing is but what is not?
The expression could indicate confusion between the world we think of as real and the world of dreams, a neat summary of a confused mind. But how confused is Macbeth at this point?

No comments: