Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Business and Pleasure

A Happy New Year to all passers-by, and thanks to Levende for the comment below about reporters who explicitly draw on their personal and professional background when they write:

Writers who do this [i.e. use their (familiy) backgrounds as material for their writing] have a lot of self-confidence, and because they have the courage to show themselves as whole beings, they cannot not use the first person singular. And because of this openness and courage, they appear somewhat fearless.
I like the sense of dealing with whole beings too. I appreciate it when reviewers and other first person writers commit to their own rhetorical record; when they appear to take responsibility for their work by actively and explicitly integrating their professional subjects and tasks into their personal aesthetics from one case to the next. (And when I say aesthetics it is meant to include ethics.)

We're closing in on a formal definition of integrity now. Wholeness; soundness. The ability to integrate business and pleasure?

And speaking of integrity: In the 2004 issue of Reflexioner (and that's the one reflecting on stars) Nadja Pass has pointed out that just as a star is held together by opposite forces: gravity and radiation, human star quality is all about striking a balance between integrity and charisma. A really keen observation which brings me back to my aforementioned article-in-progress in high spirits.

4 comments:

Christine I said...

Levende and I seem to appreciate the same qualities as do the members of the committee that just awarded Weekendavisen - 'the paper for personalities' - a prize: Den Berlingske Journalistspris.

In his speech of congratulations, Uffe Ellemann-Jensen who is a former journalist at that same paper (and former Liberal foreign minister) points out how the paper seems to be written with "heart as well as brains" by employees "who write precisely about subjects that they themselves find worth writing about" which means that readers on a regular basis get the opportunity to disagree with the views expressed AND that readers find themselves reading about subjects that wouldn't normally have caught their interest.

The paper seems to almost edit itself, Ellemann-Jensen says: "No spin and focus groups there", he even adds, and I'm pleased to hear that, but find it hard to believe.

Anonymous said...

Talking of heart as well as brains:
In the latest issue of Djøfbladet there is an interview with Weekendavisen's editor Anne Knudsen who explains why her writing ranges from editorials to food recipes: "It seems to me to be not only stupid, but simply insulting, if one pretends to be too exclusive to get food every day. What does one think about? As if one was manufactured at an exclusive factory?"

Christine I said...

I couldn't agree more! - and that's one reason I find it unlikely that Weekendavisen hasn't been making use of focus groups. I simply have a strong feeling that I (or my segment or whatever) have been represented by somebody in something like a focus group.

Christine I said...

P.S. - about segments:

At least Levende, you've been reading a magazine that I have not!

And even an occupational one [that's Djøfbladet issued by a trade union comprising the fields of law, business economics and the social sciences].