Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mind the Wave

Last week I was discussing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with a close colleague who had read the book a few years back and remembered it as unimpressive or simply tiresome with its Ooh-I'm-such-a-madman-ain't-I!? first person narrative.

I see her point, of course. And the movies, the promotion and all the heyhogonzo quotations and images circling around have supported that very impression.

I beg to differ though and want to draw attention to the contrasts in the narrative, the way the tone shifts from hectic to level-headed, from frantic to pensive. And encouraged this week to SHARE A BRAINWAVE I took the opportunity to quote one of the memorable non-frantic passages at length. (As a rhetorician by training, I was happy to see that passage branded by wikipedians as simply the Wave Speech.)

No comments: