Saturday, January 13, 2007

Five things? Here's one...

Nadja has tagged me to tell you five things you didn’t know about me. Let’s make it five things that I would have covered in the first person singular if I’d been an awesome reporter and not just a plain style diarist at the time. Here comes the first one - four more will follow before long:

1.
When I was 17 and had decided to drop out of high school for a while, I got to work as a witness for tax collectors in my home town. This was basically a cheap way for the city administration to observe the rule that at least two persons had to be present when citizens were confronted with their depts on their own doorstep. In this very dubious capacity of teenage monitor, I visited various parts of Odense and tried to keep a low profile, looking at people’s knick-knacks or bookshelves and patting their dogs while the tax collector did his thing, i.e. made arrangements for payment. I was supposed to somehow guarantee that everything was done in accordance with the rules, and the only rule I still remember being aware of is this one: No matter how much money you owe them, they can’t take your TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All right then - VERY smooth twist of the origninal challenge :-)

And VERY interesting new thing to know about you. Looking forward to the next stories...

Anonymous said...

Following the line of headlines no. 2 and 3, you could call this Observing in Odense :-)