Monday, October 23, 2006

Journalist meets novelist

Journalist and novelist Morten Sabroe was interviewing himself in Weekendavisen last week on the subject of writing his latest novel Evig troskab (Eternal Fidelity), and at one point the self-conversation turns on his ambiguous or ambivalent role as a writer. It goes something like this (in my English):
"To begin with I had to get away from the language I use as a journalist. Which takes its time. And I didn't have the patience to distance myself from it, so I started writing the story in a very literary language. And precisely because I did that, I was still bound by journalism."
- Not understood.
"I fought hard not to sound like a journalist, and that was because I was still bound by journalism. It was a counterreaction. And you don't counterreact t if you're free from the one you're counterreacting to."
- Is this some sort of wisdom you're expressing?
"You're not done with you're wife as long as you're standing in front of her screaming: 'I'm done with you.'"

1 comment:

Christine I said...

I finished reading Sabroe's novel last night, and it turns out that my translation of the title ("Eternal Fidelity") is misguided.

"Till Death Do Us Part" would be more to the point.