Thursday, November 02, 2006

Debut Blurb

I've been blurbed? I have blurbed? I blurbed? Well... I am being quoted (from the interview by Susanne Nielsen in August) on the cover - or the flap [is that really the proper English term?] - of Morten Sabroe's Rejsen til Amerika [The Journey to America] which has just come out. The one which came out the other day was a novel; this title is a new anthology of Sabroe's (quite recent) journalism, introduced and commented on by Sabroe.

I've just read the first part, and I really like the tone of the newly written material. His commentary style is quite brief and understated, and even if he is indeed telling the story of his encounter with Hunter S. Thompson once again, he does it well. This occasion is different and, accordingly, so is the story. In my opinion. So I stand by my blurb: Sabroe has been remarkably consistent - other blurbed adjectives include 'ambitious' and 'imaginative' - in his exploration of his own reporter persona and its potential. From one occasion to the next he has given some thought to his peculiar manners and what they are good for in journalism and in criticism of journalism. And I'll try and get more specific on these matters before long...

No comments: